Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wisdom from the Idiot Box? - Prologue

This past weekend, I preached my annual geek sermon.

(Geek Sermon? Yes. I'm a geek. Once a year, I celebrate my geekiness with a sermon on some geeky facet of my life. A little self-indulgent, I admit-- but I think it's allowable on an annual basis. And the geeks in the congregation like it.)

Last year was on the topic of Super Heroes; this year, television.

I'd direct you to the podcast, but due to a miscommunication/misstep, the digital recording didn't work out. Sorry.

I will share the music (which was fantastic, thanks Alissa) that I can and the pieces of the service and sermon as best I can here.

Prelude - The Andy Griffith Theme
(about 75% of the people in the pews were whistling and snapping their fingers)

Reading - "29" by David Rakoff from This American Life - episode #328 "What I Learned From Television"
(highly edited for obvious reasons with some reading help from the worship associate)

Musical Interlude - "The Idiot Box" written and performed by Alissa Rhode

Sermon - "Wisdom from the Idiot Box?"
I used the following examples as good, meaningful, engaging television:
Mister Roger's Neighborhood Theme  (which I sang, sort of, from the pulpit...)
Message from the Rev. Rogers to adult fans
Star Trek- "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "The Body" (specifically Anya's anguished part)
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
specifically Jon's monologue after 9/11 and his interview on Crossfire.
30 Days - specifically episode # ""

Offertory - The Laverne and Shirley Theme ("Making Our Dreams Come True") sung better by Alissa

Postlude - Mr. Roger's Neighborhood Theme

Next week: The 2nd annual Question Box Service

No comments: